Are you tired of your old and outdated kitchen? Do you want to give it a fresh and modern look? If so, you are not alone. According to a recent survey, kitchen remodeling is the most popular home improvement project among homeowners, with 78% of respondents planning to renovate their kitchens in the next two years .
Kitchen remodeling is not only a great way to improve the appearance and functionality of your home, but also a smart investment that can increase its value and appeal. According to Remodeling Magazine, a minor kitchen remodel can recoup 77.6% of its cost at resale, while a major kitchen remodel can recoup 53.9% .
But how do you get started with your kitchen remodeling project? What are the best kitchen remodel ideas to inspire your own renovation? How do you choose the right design, materials, and features for your kitchen?
In this article, we will answer these questions and more. We will show you 10 stunning kitchen remodels that will make you want to transform your own kitchen. We will also give you some tips and insights on how to plan, execute, and enjoy your kitchen remodeling project.
Let’s dive in!
1 Start with your cabinets
Table of Contents
- 1 Start with your cabinets
- 2 Add a kitchen island
- 3 Use uncommon shelving and storage spaces
- 4 Add a tile backsplash
- 5 Install advanced stainless steel appliances
- 6 Add a touch of metallic hardware
- 7 Use substantial materials for countertops
- 8 Implement statement décor
- 9 Install statement lighting
- 10 Create an eye-catching focal point
One of the first things you should consider when remodeling your kitchen is your cabinets. Cabinets are the bones of your kitchen, as they provide the structure, storage, and style of the space. Changing your cabinets can dramatically alter the look and feel of your kitchen.
There are many options for cabinet designs, colors, and materials that can suit different styles and preferences. For example, you can go for bold cabinet colors, such as navy blue, green, or yellow, to add some contrast and personality to your kitchen. You can also choose different cabinet materials, such as wood, metal, or glass, to create different textures and effects.
Some tips on how to choose the right cabinets for your budget and space are:
- Measure your kitchen dimensions and layout before shopping for cabinets
- Decide on the type of cabinet doors you want, such as hinged, sliding, or folding
- Choose the cabinet style that matches your kitchen theme and style, such as traditional, modern, or farmhouse
- Compare the quality and durability of different cabinet materials and finishes
- Consider adding some custom features to your cabinets, such as crown molding, lighting, or glass inserts
Here are some examples of stunning cabinet designs that will inspire you:
A modern kitchen with navy blue cabinets, gold hardware, and white marble countertops
A rustic kitchen with wood cabinets, glass doors, and a farmhouse sink
A bright kitchen with green cabinets, white countertops, and a skylight
2 Add a kitchen island
Another feature that can enhance your kitchen layout is a kitchen island. A kitchen island is a versatile and functional element that can provide you with extra work surface, storage space, seating area, or even a sink or cooktop.
There are different types of kitchen islands that can fit different spaces and needs. For example, you can choose an L-shaped island, a U-shaped island, or a triangular island depending on the shape of your kitchen. You can also choose an island that has wheels or legs so that you can move it around or adjust its height.
Some tips on how to choose the right size, shape, and location for your kitchen island are:
- Make sure there is enough clearance around the island for easy movement and access
- Choose an island that complements the style and color of your cabinets and countertops
- Consider the function and purpose of your island, such as cooking, eating, or entertaining
- Add some features to your island that make it more convenient and comfortable, such as outlets, drawers, or stools
Here are some examples of amazing kitchen islands that will inspire you:
L-shaped island with sink
U-shaped island with cooktop
Triangular island with stools
3 Use uncommon shelving and storage spaces
One of the challenges of having a functional and organized kitchen is finding enough shelving and storage space for all your items. Shelving and storage are essential for keeping your kitchen clutter-free and easy to use.
However, shelving and storage don’t have to be boring or conventional. You can use some creative and unconventional ideas to create more shelving and storage space in your kitchen. For example, you can use open shelves instead of upper cabinets to display your dishes and cookware. You can also use floating shelves to add some visual interest and depth to your walls. Or you can use hidden drawers or pull-out shelves to maximize your storage space.
Some tips on how to maximize your storage space and display your items in an attractive way are:
- Use baskets, bins, or jars to organize your items and keep them tidy
- Use labels, tags, or stickers to identify your items and make them easy to find
- Use hooks, racks, or magnets to hang your utensils, pots, or pans
- Use dividers, organizers, or trays to separate your items and keep them in order
- Use colors, patterns, or themes to create some harmony and contrast among your items
Here are some examples of uncommon shelving and storage ideas that will inspire you:
Open shelves with dishes and plants
Floating shelves with books and art
Hidden drawers with spices and oils
4 Add a tile backsplash
A tile backsplash is a simple and effective way to add some color, texture, and personality to your kitchen. A tile backsplash is a wall covering that protects your wall from splashes, stains, and grease. It can also serve as a focal point or an accent in your kitchen design.
There are different types of tile backsplashes that can suit different tastes and styles. For example, you can use subway tiles for a classic and clean look, mosaic tiles for a colorful and intricate look, or geometric tiles for a modern and edgy look.
Some tips on how to choose the right tile color, pattern, and size for your kitchen theme and style are:
- Consider the color scheme of your kitchen and choose a tile color that matches or contrasts it
- Consider the pattern of your tile and choose a tile pattern that complements or contrasts it
- Consider the size of your tile and choose a tile size that fits your wall space and layout
- Consider the grout color and choose a grout color that blends or stands out with your tile color
Here are some examples of beautiful tile backsplashes that will inspire you:
Subway tiles with white grout
Mosaic tiles with blue grout
If you want more inspiration for your kitchen backsplash project, you can also check out some of the web search results that I found for you. Here are some links to websites that have beautiful kitchen backsplash ideas for every style:
- 46 Beautiful Kitchen Backsplash Ideas for Every Style: This website has a gallery of 46 photos of different kitchen backsplash designs, including tile, stone, brick, and more. You can find ideas for classic, modern, rustic, and cottage kitchens.
- 100+ Gorgeous Kitchen Backsplash Ideas – HGTV: This website has a collection of over 100 photos of gorgeous kitchen backsplash options and ideas. You can find ideas for glass, ceramic, metal, and more. You can also filter the photos by style, color, and material.
- 57+ Best Kitchen Backsplash Ideas for 2023 – Kitchen Cabinet Kings: This website has a list of 57 best kitchen backsplash ideas for 2023, including tile, wood, stone, and unique ideas. You can also find tips on how to choose the right color, pattern, and size for your tile backsplash.
5 Install advanced stainless steel appliances
Stainless steel appliances are a smart choice for modern kitchens as they are durable, easy to clean, and energy-efficient. They also have a sleek and elegant appearance that can match any kitchen style and color.
But stainless steel appliances are not only about looks. They also have advanced features that can make your cooking easier and faster. For example, you can install a smart oven that can connect to your phone or voice assistant and let you control the temperature, time, or mode remotely. You can also install an induction cooktop that can heat up faster and more evenly than gas or electric cooktops. Or you can install a touchless faucet that can turn on or off with a wave of your hand.
Some tips on how to choose the right appliances for your needs and budget:
- Measure your kitchen space and layout before shopping for appliances
- Decide on the type of appliances you want, such as oven, cooktop, refrigerator, dishwasher, or microwave
- Compare the features and benefits of different appliances models and brands
- Consider the energy efficiency and warranty of the appliances
- Consider the installation and maintenance costs of the appliances
Here are some examples of advanced stainless steel appliances that will inspire you:
6 Add a touch of metallic hardware
Metallic hardware can add some shine and elegance to your kitchen cabinets, drawers, and doors. Metallic hardware refers to the knobs, handles, hinges, or pulls that are attached to your cabinets, drawers, or doors. They can also serve as decorative elements that can enhance your kitchen style and theme.
There are different types of metallic hardware that can suit different tastes and preferences. For example, you can use gold hardware for a luxurious and glamorous look, silver hardware for a sleek and modern look, or copper hardware for a warm and rustic look.
Some tips on how to choose the right metallic finish, shape, and size for your cabinet design and style:
- Consider the color scheme of your kitchen and choose a metallic finish that matches or contrasts it
- Consider the shape of your cabinet doors or drawers and choose a hardware shape that complements or contrasts it
- Consider the size of your cabinet doors or drawers and choose a hardware size that fits them proportionally
- Consider the style of your kitchen theme and choose a hardware style that reflects it
Here are some examples of stunning metallic hardware that will inspire you:
Gold hardware with white cabinets
7 Use substantial materials for countertops
Countertops are one of the most important elements of a kitchen, as they provide a work surface, a focal point, and a style statement. Countertops can also endure a lot of wear and tear, such as heat, stains, scratches, or cuts. Therefore, choosing the right countertop material is crucial for your kitchen remodeling project.
There are many substantial materials for countertops that can withstand these challenges, such as granite, quartz, or marble. These materials are not only durable and easy to maintain, but also beautiful and elegant. They can add some value and sophistication to your kitchen design.
Tips on how to choose the right countertop material, color, and edge for your kitchen theme and style:
- Consider the durability and maintenance of the countertop material and choose one that suits your lifestyle and needs
- Consider the color scheme of your kitchen and choose a countertop color that matches or contrasts it
- Consider the edge profile of your countertop and choose one that complements or contrasts your cabinet design and style
Here are some examples of substantial countertop materials that will inspire you:
8 Implement statement décor
Décor can add some charm and character to your kitchen and make it more inviting and cozy. Décor refers to the items that you use to decorate your kitchen, such as lighting fixtures, rugs, artwork, or plants. They can also serve as accent pieces that can enhance your kitchen atmosphere and mood.
When selecting statement décor, carefully consider your home’s location and architecture. The style that works best will vary based on these factors. A beach house kitchen may warrant breezy, coastal pieces like whitewashed woods and jute rugs. While a modern city apartment could allow for sleek metallics and vibrant art.
For example, Choose statement lighting fixtures like an ornate chandelier or modern pendant lights. In a famous Hamptons beach house remodel, a striking crystal chandelier was hung over a vintage farmhouse table, blending elegance with rustic charm.
Consider an area rug featuring bold patterns or textures, like jute or braided designs. An eye-catching Turkish Oushak rug anchored the space in a Hollywood Hills kitchen remodel.
Display wall art showcasing vivid colors or unique materials like abstract metal or carved wood sculptures. A hand-painted blue and green tile mosaic artwork above the stove added a pop of color in a San Francisco redesign.
Incorporate greenery with potted herbs, succulents or hanging plants. The famous Chicago “Kitchen of the Year” featured a vertical garden with 30+ herb-filled copper pots.
Most importantly, choose pieces that reflect your personal likes and style. If you love to cook, display colorful Le Creuset pots as art. Or if you prefer an organic look, bring in woven baskets and dried botanical garlands.
For a Kitchen in Westchester, NY, draw inspiration from traditional East Coast décor. For example:
- Incorporate a classic tin-lined vaulted ceiling for architectural interest. The decorative tin adds a touch of exposed industrial elements.
- Hang a contemporary iron and glass chandelier over the kitchen island for striking contrast. Opt for clear glass that won’t obstruct views of the tin ceiling.
- Add a hand-knotted wool rug under the dining table for cozy texture and to define the spaces. Choose a sisal or geometric pattern.
- Display collected vintage china in open cabinets to lend heirloom charm. The white dishes pop against the tin ceiling.
- Include fresh florals and orchids in a window bay for seasonal color. Herbs can grow in the bay window as well.
- Add custom roman shades in crisp white linen to filter light beautifully and complement the aesthetic.
While those ideas are tailored to a Westchester aesthetic, the general principles can apply anywhere. Most importantly, choose pieces that speak to your personal style. But do consider how statement décor can complement your home’s unique architecture and design.
Some general tips for selecting statement décor:
- Consider your kitchen’s size and proportions, choosing décor scaled to fit the space
- Select multifunctional décor like pendant lights over islands that provide lighting and style
- Choose décor that reflects your kitchen’s overall style – modern, rustic, traditional
- Opt for durable, kitchen-friendly materials and easy-care décor pieces
- Display treasured items like heirloom china for a personal touch
- Change up your décor seasonally, rotate in new accent pieces for fresh looks
Tailor your statement pieces to complement your kitchen’s proportions, style and architecture.
Here are some examples of statement kitchen décor items that will inspire you:
9 Install statement lighting
Lighting can dramatically transform the look and feel of your kitchen. Consider installing statement lighting fixtures like chandeliers, pendant lights or track lighting to add drama and sophistication. Statement lighting goes beyond standard recessed lighting to make a design impact.
You can play with contrasting light and dark tones to create visual interest. For example, a black chandelier over a white kitchen island provides striking contrast. Or install pendant lights in alternating finishes for eclectic variety. Mix different lighting types like recessed, accent and decorative to highlight specific areas. Accent lighting over a backsplash or kitchen cabinetry adds directional illumination.
Some statement lighting ideas include:
- Install a modern wrought iron chandelier over a kitchen island to add sculptural drama. Opt for a chandelier with exposed bulbs for an industrial edge.
- Hang vintage-inspired pendants like aged brass, glass or filament bulbs over the sink. Go for pendants in varying heights for cascading impact.
- Add sleek track lighting to highlight and illuminate the backsplash. Position tracks to graze light across the tile.
- Under cabinet lighting provides perfect task lighting for food prep. Opt for LED strip lighting for an energy-efficient glow.
10 Create an eye-catching focal point
Every kitchen needs a focal point to anchor the space and create visual interest. This focal area immediately draws the eye. Options include a large statement hood over the cooktop, an accent wall in a dramatic color or a backsplash in bold tile.
Some focal point examples include:
- Install a stainless steel chimney style hood with modern, minimalist lines over the cooktop. The hood makes a sculptural statement as the kitchen’s focal point.
- Create a backsplash focal point using an intricate Moroccan tile design. The tiles create depth and visual texture behind the stove.
- Paint an accent wall in a deep, dramatic blue or green tone to anchor the space. The rich color provides instant contrast.
- Expose original brick walls for a textural focal point. The rustic bricks add charm and warmth.
A statement focal point lends kitchens personality and style. Draw the eye to the area you want to highlight, like the range or sink, with a bold design feature.
As you can see, there are many stunning kitchen remodels that can inspire your own renovation. Whether you want to change your cabinets, add an island, use uncommon shelving and storage spaces, add a tile backsplash, install advanced stainless steel appliances, add a touch of metallic hardware, use substantial materials for countertops, or implement statement décor, you can create a kitchen that suits your style, needs, and budget.
If you are ready to start your kitchen remodeling project, we are here to help. We are a professional and experienced kitchen remodeling company serving homeowners in Westchester County, NY. We can help you plan, design, and execute your dream kitchen with quality workmanship and customer service.
Contact us today for a free consultation and estimate. We would love to hear from you and make your kitchen remodeling vision a reality.
- Role of Professionals in Bathroom Remodeling Costs - October 19, 2023
- Budgeting and Planning Your Bathroom Remodel - October 18, 2023
- Clever Material Selections for an Affordable Bathroom Renovation - October 14, 2023