At Simplybuilt.biz, we understand how complex it can be to plan a bathroom remodel. That’s why we’ve designed a 3-step process that integrates the most important elements for achieving a successful remodel that you can be proud of. Those three steps are 1–Dream, 2–Design, and 3–Develop. With our support, you can be certain that your bathroom remodel will not only be a triumph but also a pleasurable experience!
Table of Contents
- 1 1. DREAM
- 2 2. DESIGN
- 3 3. DEVELOP
As with any project, first comes the dream or imagination stage. Perhaps you don’t yet have a vision for your new bathroom so here are some ideas to get you started.
Wishes Really do Come True!
A wish is far more likely to come to fruition if 1–you allow yourself to have it and 2–you write it down. As such, we strongly encourage you to write a wish list for your bathroom remodel. Have you always dreamed of luxuriating in a hot soapy bath after a long day’s work? Put a bathtub on your list! Desire the sensation of being under a rainforest’s waterfall? Add a waterfall shower head to your vision board.
What you want to make sure is that you make an extensive list that includes these three components: function, fashion, and fun. Function is clear–what allows your bathroom to be a functional space? Fashion, as in aesthetic, is what you want it to look like. And fun is any added bonuses or decorative elements you’d like it to have.
Defining Your Vision
Get clear about the kind of bathroom conversion you’re seeking since it will clarify what type of assistance you may need. This includes:
- Surface-level remodeling–eg. using liners over existing tubs or showers, changing paint, etc.)
- Layout change–would you like your bathroom fixtures to be in other areas? Note that this typically comes with greater costs since it can involve changing electrical wiring and/or piping
- Expanding your bathroom–this might include adding and tearing down walls
- Top-to-bottom demolition–this type of remodel tends to cost the most since nothing is being reused or salvaged and requires more time for teardown
Once you’ve done this, it’s time to commit to your vision. If you’ve decided to renovate your bathroom in a rustic, modern, or classic style, now it’s time to get researching!
- Window shop in home decor and remodeling stores
- Create a vision board on Pinterest
- Search online for bathroom remodels / styles you like
- Look in-person at tiles, paint colours, bathroom fixtures, taps, etc.
- Watch bathroom makeovers online to get an idea of what’s new / in style
Game Plan Time!
While the dream phase is fun and all, it’s time to get into the logistics about how to plan a bathroom remodel. This includes setting an approximate and well-defined budget, a rough timeline for the completion of the remodeling, considering what type of resources or materials you’ll need, the variety of support / help needed for a successful outcome, and the skills or tools you already possess.
Budgeting for Your Dream Bathroom
We know…that dreaded word budget can stir up a lot of displeasure for most because it takes the joy out of our grandiose imaginings and brings them down to the real world. However, budgets are a great place to start since they allow us to really flesh out our vision and reflect on its viability.
Factors to consider while creating a budget are
- Costs of bathroom fixtures–bathtubs, vanities, showers, toilets, etc.
- Plumbing–taps, showerheads, pipes, etc.
- Flooring–tiling or otherwise
- Paint, wallpaper, or natural materials such as wood for your walls
- Decorations–mirrors, soap dispensers, floor mats or rugs, shower curtains, plants, candles, etc.
- Lighting and lighting fixtures
- Window coverings (if applicable) or addition of windows / skylight
- Storage space and cabinetry
- Functional aspects like toilet paper holders, towel hooks, toilet brush holder, plunger, etc.
Now let’s get realistic about the space you’re working with. Is there enough physical space to include everything that’s on your wishlist? If not, that’s okay. First consider what are the absolute must-haves for your bathroom to function (eg. likely a toilet) and what other things are negotiable (perhaps a stand-up shower instead of a bathtub).
Measuring the room will allow you to visualize more accurately where things will fit and allow you to determine and define the final layout of the space.
As overwhelming as your bathroom remodel may seem at first, that’s why we’re here. No matter what level of support you need, our exceptionally skilled team will be able to assist you at every stage. Together we will assess what level of service you need from us and prepare a contract that works best for you.
By working with our project managers, you’ll be able to set your expectations in terms of timeline, design, and budget. We create 3D renders of your remodel vision so that you’ll have a visual representation of what to expect once the project is complete. Moreover, this will help you to get a better understanding of the washroom’s layout before we get under way.
Now that you’ve decided on the design that’s right for you, it’s time to put the plan into action! We’re here to assist you in ordering and procuring all necessary materials and to execute every phase of your bathroom remodel project.
Making it Happen
Here’s the general order of a bathroom remodel which typically takes about 6-8 weeks to complete. Naturally, our project managers will be able to offer you a specific and detailed outline, as well as timeline, for your specific bathroom remodel.
An important logistical detail is physically preparing the bathroom for its remodel by removing pre-existing fixtures, flooring, etc. This is usually the first step in extensive remodeling of bathrooms.
Now that your bathroom is a clear slate, here’s an example of typical construction phases in their sequential order:
- Repairing any pre-existing structural damage (walls, flooring, etc.)
- Drywalling and carpentry for floor plan
- Setting up plumbing and drainage system
- Electrical wiring
- Installing floor’s foundation and waterproofing it
- Tiling and grout
- Installing fixtures
- Completing electrical and plumbing connections with fixtures in place
- Installing hardware (switches, taps, etc.)
- Decor and details
Nevertheless, given the nature of your remodeling project, these stages and timelines are expected to change. To clarify, speak with your project manger to define your needs.
Celebrate Good Times and Incredible Bathrooms!
It can all be so simple with SimplyBuilt.biz if you remember our three effective steps for how to plan a bathroom remodel–dream, design, and develop. Our team of experts are here to help make your bathroom remodel easy and enjoyable. We have over 15 years of experience transforming clients’ ideas into realities.
Contact one of our representatives today by email at email@example.com or by phone at (914) 222-3671. We provide free 15-minute consultations by call that can be scheduled at your convenience. We look forward to working with you!